In order to start on your Private Pilot Certificate, you’ll need to meet these requirements:
- Be at least 16 years old to solo.
- Be at least 17 years old to obtain a Private Pilot Certificate (PPL).
- Be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Be able to obtain at least a 3rd Class Medical Certificate.
- Receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor.
- Accumulate and log a specified amount of flight time from an authorized instructor.
- Pass an FAA Written Knowledge Test.
- Pass a Practical Test consisting of both an oral examination and a flight test during what is called a “checkride.”